If you work out of your home or just need a place to take care of personal business, it’s a good idea to set up a workspace dedicated to this purpose in your home. Whether it’s a corner of your apartment or a whole room, your space should be comfortable, safe, and securely protect your sensitive documents and computer files. January is a good time to clean and organize your home office space with the following ideas in mind.
Will kids, pets, and guests have access to your office set-up? What hazards do you see?
- Electrical Cords and outlets:
- Untangle, organize and group cords.
- Make sure outlets aren’t overloaded.
- Tripping Hazards:
- Those cords again!
- Boxes and other objects protruding from under your desk.
- Make sure there’s a clear path to the exit.
- Childproof your office if children have access
- Cover unused electrical outlets
- Secure small objects like paper clips, pens, etc. where little hands can’t find them!
- Use surge protectors.
- Add an Uninterruptable Power Supply (UPS) to protect against power outages
- Keep your computer safe from viruses and malware by updating your current anti-virus and firewall protection
- Back up your data onto a hard drive
- Keep stored client data confidential
- Ensure sensitive data is encrypted
- File any loose paper documents securely